Motilal Oswal
  • SENSEX
    NIFTY 50
Motilal Oswal
VIDEOS
Market

Key things to know about Real Estate Investment Trust or REIT

Updated : March 18, 2019 09:55 AM IST

Blackstone-backed Embassy Group will launch India’s first Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT) next week and is looking to raise about Rs 5,000 crore from the market via REIT.

REIT is a company that owns and operates income-producing real estate. It resembles a mutual fund but the underlying asset here will be a real estate asset.

In terms of a real estate asset, it could be commercial buildings like an office or a hotel. These are the places where a REIT would invest the money that they take from the unit holder. However, just like mutual fund units, one will be given units from REIT.

Retail investors can also invest in REIT but the minimum amount is about Rs 2 lakh. Also, there are rumors that if any of the REIT stocks get listed on the exchanges then they might reduce the minimum amount to Rs 1 lakh.

About 80 percent of the proceeds that REITs get have to be invested in complete or revenue generating projects while the remaining 20 percent has to be in developing properties.

Rental yield from commercial property is in the range of 7-9% while the capital appreciation is in between 4-7% in the long term.
primo org
Have you signed up for Primo, our daily newsletter?
It has all the stories and data on the market, business, economy and tech that you need to know.
cnbc two logos
To keep watching CNBC-TV18, India's No. 1 English Business News Channel, call your Cable or DTH Operator and subscribe now for just Rs. 4 per month. You can also subscribe to CNBC-TV18 Prime HD for Re 1/- per month.Find out more
Live TV