As we celebrate Dhanteras today, here’s a look at how the market has fared since the last Samvat:
- Last year gold as an asset class sparkled by giving returns of around 28-29 percent.
- The market has given a return of close to 10 percent in terms of the Nifty move and the Nifty Bank is also up nearly 13 percent.
- There was a pain in the broader market because the midcap and smallcap indices were under pressure.
- Few stocks performed well. Top five gainers accounted for more than 90 percent of the gains.
- The top gainers were HDFC Bank, Reliance Industries, HDFC, Kotak Mahindra Bank and ICICI Bank. They were up between 14-24 percent.
- The stocks that dragged Nifty by 300 points were ITC, Yes Bank, M&M, Infosys and Sun Pharma.
: Network18, the parent company of CNBCTV18.com, is controlled by Independent Media Trust, of which Reliance Industries is the sole beneficiary.