As rainfall eases in kerala, floodwater has started receding in several parts of the state but lakhs of people have been affected by the floods and several homes submerged.
Here are some safety measures that people can take when they return home.
- Switch off the main power
- Ventilate or de-humidify the house till it's completely dry
- Watch out for snakes & other reptiles
- Use bleaching powder & disinfectants to clean the house & surroundings
- Clean the wells & super chlorinate them
- Ensure drinking water is purified before consuming
- Items like clothes, utensils must be sterilised before use
- Use electronic appliances only after examination by an electrician
- Dispose items that have been exposed to floodwater such as medicines, cosmetics, toiletries, boxed foods & bottled drinks